Styrbjørn Steam Tugboat, Oslo
Next to the Børøysund steamship at the walls of Akershus fortress is another historical ship, restored by the Norwegian society of naval veterans (Norsk Veteranskibsklub), the Styrbjørn tugboat. The ship was built in 1910 in Gothenburg by the Swedish mining company Trafikaktiebolaget Grängesberg-Oxelösund. The tug worked in Narvik for the transportation of barges with ore up to the Second world war. On April 14, 1940, during the capture of Narvik by German troops, it was sunk, but in June it was raised, repaired, and entered service with the German team, continuing its normal work of delivering ore.
After the war, the tug remained out of business for 5 years, in 1950, the previous owners sent the ship to Gothenburg for repairs, after which it worked properly until 1963. The tug was then acquired by Høvding Skipsopphugging, a company engaged in the recovery and disposal of sunken ships (including the battleship Tirpitz), where it operated under the name "Atlet". In the late 70s, the veteran wanted to be scrapped, but in 1979 it was bought by the Norsk Veteranskibsklub society, which is engaged in the preservation of marine heritage. The ship was transferred to Oslo, where it was restored by enthusiasts.
The tug has a length of 29.42 m, a width of 6.95 m, a draft of 3.83, and a displacement of 167 tons. The gas engine of the "compound" system was manufactured by Stivenson sleidestyring and has a power of 550 HP. Steam pressure of 9 atmospheres produces a Scotch boiler that consumes 550 kg of coal per hour at full speed. Maximum speed 12 knots.